Downtown Abbotsford throws open its main street Saturday for the 36th annual Berryfest, a day-long family festival chock-full of activities, entertainment, food and a bushel of fun!
Presented by Aldergrove Credit Union, Berryfest welcomes families for just a single day this year – July 8 – but extended hours allow for lots of familiar favourites and brand new highlights.
“We wanted to appeal to a wider demographic this year without taking away from the family-friendly nature of the event,” says Reuben Mann, ADBA’s marketing and events co-ordinator. “Berryfest is all about community and we encourage everyone to come celebrate Abbotsford, the downtown and the history of the area.”
1. Start early, stay late: The festivities open at 9 a.m. and continue right through the day until 9 p.m.
2. Grand opening: Opening ceremonies start at 11 a.m. with a welcome from Mayor Henry Braun, MLAs Simon Gibson and Dr. Darryl Plecas, and president of the Abbotsford Downtown Business Association, Dave Algra.
3. Artisan market: The Abbotsford Arts Council invites you to explore the diversity of local creative talent at the festival’s Artisan Market.
4. Ride on!: Back by popular demand is the Berry-Go-Round and ferris wheel, both family favourites.
5. Get refreshed: Festivals can be thirsty work so Berryfest guests can relax and refresh in the Old Yale Brewery beer garden, open from 3:30 to 8:30 p.m.
6. Fuel up with good food: Tuck into yummy fare from your favourite food trucks, on-site for the day’s festivities, or sample summer offerings from Abbotsford’s restaurants, serving their best all day.
7. See, try, play: Many community organizations and non-profits will be on hand offering family-friendly activities and engaging the public, including Abbotsford Police, Fire and Paramedics.
8. Berry beautiful: No Berryfest would be complete without berries, so visitors will find a variety of farm-fresh goodies from Abbotsford’s own Neufeld Farms.
9. Entertaining ideas: Head to the mainstage area where a host of local musicians, dancers and others will take the stage following the opening ceremonies.
10. Aldergrove Credit Union Headliners: The entertainment kicks into high gear at 5 p.m. with the Fab Fourever Beatles tribute band, followed by popular local comedian Sunee Dhaliwal at 6 p.m. and country duo Me + Mae at 7 p.m., before funk favourites Big City Soul wow the crowds at 8 p.m.
Visit Berryfest, presented by the Aldergrove Credit Union, Saturday, July 8 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in downtown Abbotsford.