COLUMN: Who is going to care for Aunt Mildred?

If you have any elderly family members or friends who have reached the stage where they are not capable of managing their own affairs ...

  • Oct. 16, 2015 8:00 a.m.

Legal-Ease by Ian MacKinnon

These days, this is a familiar problem.

Uncle John died a few years ago at age 73, leaving his wife (Aunt Mildred, age 73) behind. As the years pass, Aunt Mildred becomes less self-sufficient, and the extended family eventually decides to place Aunt Mildred in a seniors’ home.

Thereafter, she slowly becomes less and less capable of taking care of her own affairs, and her extended family has many questions including:

How can we sell Aunt Mildred’s home to pay for her care?

Who can pay her bills?

Who can manage her investments?

The answer is found in the Patients Property Act [RSBC 1998] c. 349. This act allows family members, or friends, to apply to the Supreme Court of British Columbia to appoint a committee of the estate and person of any adult declared incompetent by the courts (referred to as the “patient”).

On any such application, two medical doctors must offer opinions that the proposed patient is, by reason of mental infirmity arising from disease, age, or otherwise, or disorder or disability of mind arising from the use of drugs, incapable of managing his or her affairs. In most cases, the proposed committee is a younger family member. Failing family members agreeing to stand as committee, friends of the patient can also be considered.

An affidavit from the proposed committee is required, setting out his or her relationship with the patient and providing enough background to the court to ensure that the court has confidence that the proposed committee would be a competent and  trustworthy person to manage the estate.  In most cases, the committee is required to post a bond with the court to protect against any improper usage of the patient’s estate.

Once the committee is appointed, he or she has full authority to then deal with all of the patient’s assets.  As such, the committee would have the legal authority to sell Aunt Mildred’s home, pay her bills, manage her investments, etc.

There are times when committee applications can become contested.  The patient, other family members, or friends may believe that the patient is still capable to manage his or her own affairs.  The debate then in front of the court would be the level of competence of the patient. If incompetent, a committee is required. If still competent, the patient can obviously then still manage his or her own affairs.

As well, committee applications can become disputed when there is a debate as to who is the proper committee. The court would then weigh the evidence presented by the applicants and decide who would be the best committee.

If you have any elderly family members or friends who have reached the stage where they are not capable of managing their own affairs, and they need someone with legal authority to assist them, you should consult an estate litigation lawyer to discuss how a committee of their estate could be appointed.

Ian is a partner with RDM Lawyers LLP in Abbotsford. He practises in the areas of estate litigation, expropriation, and civil litigation.  Comments or questions about this article can be sent to

Just Posted

Alexis Paige Simpson has not been in contact with her family in two months. (RCMP photo)
Chilliwack RCMP looking for missing 20-year-old woman

Police say Alexis Paige Simpson has not been in contact with her family in two months

RCMP seek dash-cam footage after Chilliwack road rage incident

Male driving a black pickup stopped and allegedly threatened to punch another driver

Deepak Sharma of Abbotsford has been convicted of the sexual assault of one of his cab passengers in West Vancouver in January 2019.
Former Abbotsford Hindu temple president convicted of sexual assault

Deepak Sharma assaulted a female passenger when he was a cab driver

A blood drive in support of 1-year-old Rielynn Gormley of Agassiz is scheduled for Monday, June 28 at Tzeachten First Nation Community Hall in Chilliwack. Rielynn lives with type 3 von Willebrand disease, which makes it difficult for her to stop bleeding. (Screenshot/Canadian Blood Services)
Upcoming blood drive in honour of Agassiz toddler with rare blood condition

The Gormley family has organized a blood drive in Chilliwack on June 28

Woody’s RV World hosts a grand opening for its brand-new Abbotsford location on Saturday. (YouTube)
Woody’s RV World hosts Abbotsford grand opening on Saturday

First-ever B.C. location for successful RV chain, located on Marshall Road

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

A coroner’s inquest will be taking place at the Capitol Theatre in Port Alberni for the next week. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Teen B.C. mom who died following police custody recalled as ‘friend to many’

Police sent Jocelyn George to hospital after intoxication had gone ‘beyond the realm’ of normal detox

FILE - In this Nov. 29, 2020, file photo, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta. Nassib on Monday, June 21, 2021, became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib announced the news on Instagram, saying he was not doing it for the attention but because “I just think that representation and visibility are so important.” (AP Photo/John Bazemore, File)
Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay

More than a dozen NFL players have come out as gay after their careers were over

Penticton Indian Band Chief Greg Gabriel speaks to the Sacred Hearts Catholic Church burning down early Monday morning, June 21, 2021. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Penticton band chief condemns suspicious burning of 2 Catholic churches

Both Catholic church fires are deemed suspicious, says RCMP

COVID-19 daily cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day moving average to June 17, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infections drop to 90 on Sunday, 45 Monday

Pandemic spread dwindles as 77% of adults receive vaccine

By protesting uninvited in First Nations’ territories, conservationists are acting in a neocolonial or paternalistic manner, says Huu-ay-aht Chief Robert Dennis. Photo by Heather Thomson
A closer look: do Vancouver Island First Nations support the war in the woods?

First Nations/environmentalist old growth alliance uneasy, if it exists at all

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Most Read