Local bands have a chance to battle it out starting next week.
The University of the Fraser Valley’s radio station, 101.7 CIVL, is hosting a Fraser Valley Battle of the Bands contest which kicks off on May 11 at Aftermath on UFV’s Abbotsford campus.
In all, 47 bands submitted applications from Chilliwack to Delta. A panel from CIVL cut the number down to 18 bands representing a mix of genres including rock, blues, pop, funk, metal, punk and world.
A full schedule will be released at www.civl.ca.
Artists will benefit from promoting their band and will compete for prizes from Tractorgrease Multimedia, Five Acres, Jayme Anne Photography and Long & McQuade. Music fans of all ages are invited to come out and support their favourite bands, and hear some of the Fraser Valley talent every Saturday from May 11 to July 13. Doors open each night at 7 p.m. with the bands performing from 7:30-9 p.m. Aftermath is located at 33844 King Rd. in Abbotsford. Admission is $5.
The full list of finalists include:
- 7th Avenue (Mission) – Rock/Blues
- Big Damn Heroes (Cloverdale) – Power Pop
- Captain Blast! & the INCISION (Surrey) – Funk/Metal
- Casinos (Abbotsford) – Garage Rock
- Derrival (Langley) – Indie Rock
- Empty After (Chilliwack) – Rock/Indie
- Guts and Glory (Langley) – Punk/Hardcore
- Hot Lunch (Abbotsford) – Punk
- Hrdwtr (Aldergrove) – Folk/Rock
- Kara-Kata Afrobeat Group (Surrey) – World
- Lonely Cave Kings (Langley) – Rock/Alternative
- Losses (Abbotsford) Hardcore
- Merciful Angel (Abbotsford) – Traditional/Thrash
- MG Graveyard (Delta) – Rock N’ Roll/Blues
- Minnesota Nice (Abbotsford) – Rock
- Old Mare (Abbotsford) – Alt/Rock
- Poppy and the Pistols (Langley) – Alternative Rock
- Yes Men Jr (Abbotsford)Synth-Punk