The Abbotsford News has been recognized alongside other community newspapers across the country as part of the 2016 Canadian Community Newspaper Awards.
The awards are given out annually by Newspapers Canada, recognizing excellence in community publishing. The News received the following recognition:
* First place for outstanding community service, for a paper with a circulation of 10,000 and over.
* First place for a magazine produced by a community newspaper with a circulation of 25,000 for Image Magazine: Wedding.
* First place for a promotional campaign for Star Wars: Episode VII, The Force Awakens.
* First place in digital innovation for the 2015 Amateur Photographer Contest – Abbotsford Airshow.
* Third place for “Election 2015: Our Future” in the special section category for papers with a distribution of 25,000 and higher.
* Third place for the Agrifair promotional campaign in the category of papers with a 25,000-and-over distribution.
* Third place for photographer John Morrow for his photo of a horse being rescued from a ditch in the “Best Spot News” category among papers with a circulation of 12,500 or more.