Abbotsford Community Foundation (ACF) has announced the recipients of its Smart and Caring Community Grants program.
Andrea Senft, chair of the Community Grants Committee, invited nine local charities to attend a cheque presentation event on May 19.
Each charity shared their respective programs that will support children and families in Abbotsford and received grants totaling $83,500.
“The focus of our Smart and Caring Community Initiative over the past four years is to support children and families living in poverty,” Senft said.
“We chose this area based on the results of our 2013 Vital Signs report that revealed that, of the 5,000 people using Abbotsford’s food bank a month, 40 per cent are children.”
Senft said that without the grants, many of the programs would have to be cut or cancelled.
The grant recipients are:
– Abbotsford Community Services – Best for Babies program and Starfish Pack program;
– Abbotsford Restorative Justice and Advocacy Association – counselling for at-risk children;
– Abbotsford Youth Commission – youth nutrition and cooking classes;
– Central Abbotsford Community School – after-school homework assistance;
– Fraser Valley Brain Injury Association – summer camp;
– Fraser Valley Child Development Centre – Family Enrichment program;
– Rick Hansen Secondary – Super Science Club;
– Vibrant Abbotsford – financial literacy program; and
– West Abbotsford Community School – summer literacy support.
To support the ACF initiative, call 604-850-3755 or visit abbotsfordcf.org.