The Abbotsford Community Foundation (ACF) has awarded more than $143,000 to recipients of the 2021 Smart and Caring Community Grants and 2021 Housing Grants.
The funds support 20 programs administered by charities that address children and families at risk in the community.
Applications were reviewed by the community grants committee, which is composed of local individuals who share a passion for serving the community.
“With a record number of applications received, the committee had a difficult task. There were many worthy applicants,” said committee chair Denise Thandi.
The ACF welcomed recipients throughout the day on May 20 to present the grant funding and for the recipients to provide an overview of their program impact, which will be shared on the ACF social channels and website.
Funds for the Smart and Caring Community grants program are raised in a variety of ways, including the annual Smart and Caring Golf Classic, this year being held Sept. 16.
The tournament is already sold out, but the public is encouraged to visit the ACF website (abbotsfordcf.org) or contact the ACF directly at 604-850-3755 for other ways to support.
ACF board chair Andrea Senft said the foundation has distributed more than $700,000 in grants since 2014.
“ACF is honoured to fund these programs that help some of our most vulnerable citizens. The Smart and Caring Community Grants program demonstrates our commitment to give where we live,” she said.
Three recipients received housing grants: Raven’s Moon Resource Society, the Salvation Army and LIFE Recovery Association
Recipients of the Smart and Caring grants are:
• Abbotsford Hospice Society – grief support wellness events for children, youth and teens
• Abbotsford Police Foundation – Youth Making Positive Choices geocaching project
• Abbotsford School District – Back to School Backpack/School Supply Event
• Abby Community School Society – Summer Camp for Education and Recreation
• Archway Community Services – Starfish Pack Program and Seva Food Pantry
• Bakerview Music Academy – special education assistants
• Big Brothers Big Sisters – Mentoring for Mental Health
• Canuck Place Children’s Hospice – counselling and bereavement services
• CARES Counselling – counselling for COVID-19 relief
• Fraser Valley Brain Injury Association – Young Arts Summer Program
• Fraser Valley Down Syndrome Society – Down Syndrome Centre
• Literacy Matters Abbotsford – Fostering Literacy
• Salvation Army – Camp at Home and back-to-school event
• University of the Fraser Valley – Science Rocks! Days
• Volunteer Cancer Drivers Society – Abbotsford cancer patient transportation
• Zajac Ranch – family camp