Abbotsford’s business community turned out in full force to honour their own on Wednesday night at the 19th annual Business Excellence Awards at Tradex.
Approximately 500 guests attended the event that saw 87 nominees vie for awards in 12 categories.
The celebration was sponsored by the Abbotsford News and the Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce.
Rick Rake, chair of the Business Excellence committee, served as master of ceremonies for the event that featured a Moulin Rouge theme. The Business Excellence Award presentations were announced by Mike Welte, president Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce and Andrew Franklin, publisher at The Abbotsford News.
The opening reception featured networking followed by a buffet dinner.
‘Moulin Rouge’ was the featured entertainment at the 19th annual Business Excellence Awards in Abbotsford. Braden Douglas, Relevention Marketing Solutions, introduced Moulin Rouge to the packed crowd and Ravi Duhra, Lawyer at RDM, congratulated the performers after a dazzling performance. The show, directed by Mary Boonstra, was magnificent and a standing ovation was given by the audience at Tradex.
Notes from the Director: Mary Boonstra
“Creating this show in one act was full of challenges. The movie on which it is based had many different story lines. To tell the story in the time allowed and to showcase many of the memorable numbers, I decided to take one story line of the show and focus on that – the love story – and enhance it with lights, colour, spectacle and music to entertain you. The songs I have selected from the movie have been my favourites and I hope they move you as much as they have moved me. Even my little four year old has been singing along and knows the words! When tasked with putting this show together, I knew I needed the help of many community partners and I am so thrilled with everyone who joined in with great enthusiasm. I have been blessed with an amazing group of talented individuals and forever thank them for their contributions in make the show a success.”
Recipients of the 2014 Business
Excellence Awards are:
• Home Based Business Excellence – GoMac;
• Retailer Excellence – Ronald Allan Clothiers;
• Manufacturing and Production Excellence – Columbia Cabinets;
• Agricultural and Agri-Business Excellence – Rossdown Farms and Natural Foods;
• Consumer Services Excellence (one to five employees) – The Loft Hair Studio and Beauty Bar;
• Consumer Services Excellence (six plus employees) – Innovative Fitness;
• Business Services Excellence – Noble Commercial Delivery Service;
• Eric Vanderham Young Entrepreneur of the Year – Kayla Feenstra of Dragonlily Gardens;
• Non-Profit Organization of the Year – Communitas Supportive Care Society;
• New Business of the Year – Absorbent Concepts Inc.;
• Established Business of the Year (one to 19 employees) – Fraser Brake and Muffler; and
• Established Business of the Years (20 plus employees) – Lepp Farm Market.