- BC Games
PacWest wrap: No. 1-ranked Cascades women cruise past Camosun
The nation's top-ranked women's college volleyball team continued to clip along last weekend.
The University of the Fraser Valley Cascades swept a pair of road games in Victoria against the Camosun Chargers. The Cascades won in three straight sets on Friday, and prevailed in five sets Saturday to improve to 17-1 on the season.
• In other PacWest action, the UFV men's volleyball team (2-16) dropped both games at Camosun, falling in three sets Friday and in four on Saturday.
• The Columbia Bible College men's volleyballers are tied for the sixth and final PacWest playoff berth with their UFV counterparts at 2-16. The Bearcats dropped both weekend games at Vancouver Island University in Nanaimo in straight sets.
• Facing defending national champion VIU, the CBC women's volleyball team also lost both games in Nanaimo in straight sets. They sit third in the PacWest at 10-8, and are ranked No. 14 in the nation.
• The Bearcats men's basketball team, coming off a memorable upset win over the No. 1-ranked Langara Falcons, hit a speed bump at home on the weekend. The CBC men lost 86-50 to VIU on Friday, then dropped a 77-76 decision to Camosun on Saturday after star point guard Kevin Ford missed two free throws with less than a second remaining in regulation. The 'Cats are sixth in the PacWest at 5-10.
• The CBC women's hoopsters lost 94-50 to VIU and 81-39 to Camosun, dropping their record to 0-15 on the season.
VOLLEYBALLERS AT HOME
The Cascades and Bearcats volleyball teams are back on their home courts this weekend.
UFV hosts VIU on Friday (women 6 p.m., men 8 p.m.) and Saturday (women 1 p.m., men 3 p.m.), and the women's games will be the showdown of the year in the PacWest. The Cascades are ranked No. 1 in the nation, while the Mariners are No. 2.
The Bearcats take on the Quest Kermodes on Friday (women 6 p.m., men 8 p.m.) and Saturday (women 1 p.m., men 3 p.m.).
The CBC basketball teams are on the road to face Quest on Thursday and the Capilano Blues on Saturday.