- BC Games
Abbotsford Rugby Club on a roll
Teams from the Abbotsford Rugby Football Club fashioned a series of strong results at the conclusion of the fall season.
• The Abbotsford women's squad won the Tier 2 league title on Nov. 24, cruising past Kelowna 31-13. Mackenzie Fowler led the charge with three tries, while Hilary Novakowski and Jerusha Dunsmore added one try apiece and Lindsay Tosh booted three converts.
• The Abby U18 girls won the provincial championship with a dominant 29-5 triumph over Bayside. Team captain Tiffany Picketts had a huge game, scoring two tries and kicking a convert, while Nakisa Levale, Sophia DiGianni and Lauren Kerr also scored tries in the win.
• The local U15 boys team claimed the Lower Mainland title, beating the Rowers/Burnaby combined team 25-17 at Exhibition Park. Matt Fraser notched two tries, while James Parker, Adaio Spathelfer and Colton Lavoie also scored.
The win capped an undefeated 8-0 season for the U15s, who outscored their opposition by a staggering 295-94 margin.
• The U19 boys made their way to the Lower Mainland final for the third consecutive year, but they lost 31-10 to the UBCOB Ravens. Alex Parkinson and Joel Nervais scored the Abby tries.
• On the men's scene, the Abbotsford Div. 3 team made it to the Plate final in their league, where they dropped a hard-fought 35-29 decision to Meralomas. Mike Wilson (2), Gareth Bartlett, Sheldon Bates and Don Small posted tries.
• The Abby Div. 1 and Div. 2 men's squads wrapped up the fall schedule with road victories over Surrey on Saturday. The Div. 1 side won 27-12 behind tries from Tanner Saliken, Jake Buskell, Trent Bourke, Ryan McWhinney and Cory Sheremeto. The Div. 2 victory was a dominant 64-10 effort, led by three tries from Darwin Guevara and two from Patrick Shields.