MENNO EDIGER

Menno Jacob, died peacefully at home surrounded by family on December 2, 2002. Menno was born on October 5, 1928 in Inman, Kansas and moved to Mission with his wife Margaretha in the summer of 1990.


Menno was an ordained minister in the Mennonite Church and served churches in Turpin Oklahoma, Sudbury Ontario, Markham Illinois, and Boise Idaho. Menno and Margaretha spent many years working as volunteer with Mennonite Central Committee, establishing the Welcome Inn drop-in centre in Hamilton, laying the ground-work for a new church there, and working with Old Colony Mennonites in Bolivia.


After moving to Mission, Menno was actively involved in the M2W2 prison ministry, Habitat for Humanity and Mennonite Disaster Service. He was involved with Meals on Wheels, Seniors Connection, and the Hidden Treasures Thrift store. A faithful and loved member of St. Stephens Community Church, he inspired and promoted outreach programs there that serve the local and global community.


Menno enjoyed curling, singing, fishing, and making furniture out of “found” materials. He believed in simple living and the wise use and reuse of resources. Menno lived a life committed to peace and justice. He touched the lives of many people in North and South America who benefited from his dedication to service in the name of God’s love.


Menno is the beloved husband of Margaretha, and father of Stephanie, Elizabeth, Mike, Mary and Evelyn, father-in-law of Diane Ediger, Lloyd Hilderbrand and Robert Ross, and grandfather of Katie, John, Jeff, Alyse, Mikaela and Eli. He is survived by his sisters Katherina Epp, Marie Regehr, Anne Martin and Elma Kauffman and his brother Peter Ediger.


A Funeral Service will be held at St. Stephens Community Church. For information call Woodlawn Mission Funeral Home at 604-826-9548. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Mennonite Central Committee, the Mission Hospice Society or the MANNA Project, an initiative to provide meals to local people in need. Donations to MANNA may be directed to St. Stephens Community Church.