UPDATE: Kittens singed in Gladwin Road house fire

Blaze broke out at about 2 p.m. Thursday in Abbotsford

  • Jan. 12, 2017 6:00 a.m.
Crews were called to a house fire at 935 Gladwin Rd. on Thursday afternoon.

Crews were called to a house fire at 935 Gladwin Rd. on Thursday afternoon.



Fire crews were called to a fire at a small home at 935 Gladwin Rd., just north of Huntingdon Road, on Thursday afternoon.

Crews arrived on scene shortly after 2 p.m. and discovered two motor homes fully involved, with the nearby home also ablaze, according to assistant fire chief Craig Bird.

“Crews worked extremely hard, conditions are extremely cold right now and they did a fantastic job of knocking the fire down,” he said.

No one was injured in the blaze but three kittens sustained burns to their fur and may have suffered smoke inhalation, Bird said.

Investigators have determined the fire was accidental, according to an Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service release.

“Abbotsford Fire Rescue would like to remind the public not to plug space heaters into extension cords and to follow the manufacturer’s instructions supplied with the units,” the release states. “Space heaters should be placed in a location that will not ignite surrounding objects.”

The cats are being cared for by the BC SPCA.