Two men charged, one with murder, in death of Joe Zecca of Abbotsford

Zecca was found lying on Lonzo Road on Sunday night

IHIT spokesperson Sgt. Stephanie Ashton and Abbotsford Police Const. Ian MacDonald announce charges Friday morning in the death of Joe Zecca.

IHIT spokesperson Sgt. Stephanie Ashton and Abbotsford Police Const. Ian MacDonald announce charges Friday morning in the death of Joe Zecca.

Two men have been charged in the death in Abbotsford on Sunday night of 38-year-old Joe Zecca.

Shiloh Davidson (in photo at left), 31, has been charged with second-degree murder, and Andre Marc Provencal, 23, has been charged with two counts of assault with a weapon and one count each of uttering threats and possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

Provencal was arrested on Monday and was due to appear in Abbotsford provincial court this morning (Friday). Davidson was arrested yesterday (Thursday) and is next slated to appear in court on Tuesday.

Zecca died on Sunday after a motorist reported seeing him lying in the street on Lonzo Road and Vedder Way at 11:08 p.m.

When emergency crews arrived, they found Zecca severely injured. They provided medical assistance, but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:25 p.m.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) formally announced the charges on Friday morning during a press conference at the Abbotsford Police Department.

IHIT spokesperson Sgt. Stephanie Ashton said Zecca’s death was the result of an altercation in which he suffered head wounds and other injuries.

Zecca, who grew up in Surrey, was apparently homeless at the time of his passing and had only recently come to Abbotsford, but Ashton said she could not confirm that information.

She also said she did not know whether the men charged were homeless.

A homeless camp across from where Zecca was found was under police scrutiny in the days following his death. That area, first taped off on Sunday night, was still blocked off yesterday at the corner of Lonzo Road where it turns into Vedder Way.

Ashton said that camp was of interest because it was located close to the murder scene, and investigators had to be thorough in interviewing potential witnesses and gathering evidence.

She said the arrests were laid due to information received from local citizens.

“It is as a result of the close-knit community that we were dealing with that we were able to achieve the charges that have gone forward,” Ashton said.

Abbotsford Police Chief Bob Rich commented IHIT and the APD for their “swift and thorough” work in making arrests in the case.

“We will continue to seek justice for the victim and his family and friends, and to restore public safety,” he added.

Davidson has an extensive criminal record, almost entirely in Abbotsford. His past convictions include vehicle theft, possession of stolen property, breaching his bail and probation, theft and fleeing from a peace officer.

In December, he was convicted of possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose and was sentenced to one year of probation.

Davidson is also still before the courts on a theft charge from last July. He pleaded guilty to the charge and was scheduled to be sentenced on April 17, but he didn’t show up for court, and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Provencal’s criminal history in B.C. includes only a break-and-enter charge from April 21.