The BC SPCA is warning the public to safely stock their cannabis after a puppy overdosed on THC.
Bear, a husky, was rushed to the vet by the organization’s Vancouver branch.
“By the time we arrived, he was unconscious,” said branch manager Jodi Dunlop in a news release Monday. The release did not say how the dog came to them. “A toxicity test revealed that Bear had high levels of THC in his little body.”
THC is the psychoactive agent in cannabis, and according to the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, “excessive intake” can cause signs of toxicity in dogs, especially smaller breeds and puppies.
With cannabis legal in Canada, Dunlop said, pet owners need to be extremely careful keeping oils and edibles out of their pets’ reach.
“If you suspect your pet has ingested drugs, take them to see a vet immediately and be honest about what happened to them,” said Dunlop. “Some people may be reluctant to be up front about what happened, but vets need to act quickly – it could be a matter of life and death for their pet.”
Bear has recovered, but bills for the emergency vet, vaccinations and neutering have hit $2,730.