A spark from a cutting torch started a grass fire on Thursday morning in Abbotsford.
The fire took place on North Parallel Road at Sumas Mountain Road – on the north side of Highway 1 east of the Whatcom Road interchange.
Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the scene just before 9:30 a.m.
Assistant Fire Chief Dave Rivett said workers were removing some signs along the road when a spark from a cutting torch ignited the dry grass.
He said recent dry weather and winds in the area helped the fire spread to an area of about 40 feet by 300 feet, but it was extinguished by crews before any major damage was done.