Discarded cigarette blamed for Abbotsford four-plex fire

A cigarette that was discarded into a planter is believed to be the cause of a fire at a four-plex at 32052 George Ferguson Way early yesterday morning.

  • Feb. 9, 2011 5:00 a.m.
Fire destroyed a unit in a four-plex on George Ferguson Way.

Fire destroyed a unit in a four-plex on George Ferguson Way.

A cigarette that was discarded into a planter is believed to be the cause of a fire at a four-plex at 32052 George Ferguson Way early this morning (Wednesday).

An occupant of the unit in the Hawthorne Place complex called 911 at about 2:50 a.m. to report a fire on the second-floor balcony.

Deputy Fire Chief Mike Helmer said crews arrived to find smoke and fire coming from the rear of the three-storey building. They ensured all nine occupants of the building were evacuated, and then quickly brought the fire under control, he said.

Fire damage was contained to one unit and is estimated at $300,000. Adjoining residences had smoke and water damage.

Helmer said only the two adults and one child living in the unit have been displaced from their home.

Approximately 20 firefighters and eight apparatus from two fire halls battled the blaze.