Chimney fire extinguished before firefighters arrive

Abbotsford firefighters responded to a chimney fire on Marvern Way

Firefighters were called to a chimney fire on Monday morning.

Firefighters were called to a chimney fire on Monday morning.

Abbotsford firefighters were called to a chimney fire on Marvern Way, off Old Clayburn Road, Monday morning, but when they arrived the homeowner had already quelled the blaze.

The chimney’s flue was not cracked which kept the fire from extending into the attic space, according to a fire official. Once the homeowner noticed the fire, he doused the fire in the chimney with water.

Firefighters were on scene for about 30 minutes.