Abbotsford’s Vitalus Nutrition was recognized at the BC Food and Beverage Awards, which occurred on Sept. 24.
The online celebration handed out 10 awards to the best of the best in B.C., and Vitalus took home the People First, Health, Safety and Cultural Excellence Award.
Judges stated that Vitalus earned the award in big part because the company has established a wellness program focused on mind, body and soul. This program involves, events and education associated to mental health physical and nutrition and self-care.
Vitalus, located at 3911 Mt. Lehman Road, was originally formed in 2004 to develop the global market for dairy proteins. Two years later the company launched milk protein concentrates for industrial applications.
In the years since, the company has continued to innovate in the dairy market. Vitalus also increased processing capacity in Abbotsford and added a second facility in Winnipeg in 2017.
Other winners were:
• Product of the Year Gold: Seaside Gin by Sheringham Distillery, Sooke
• Product of the Year Silver: Zesty Cheeze Crackers by Free Yumm, South Vancouver
• Product of the Year Bronze: Nut-Free Tigernut Butter by Farafena, Vancouver
• Hall of Fame Inductee: The KB Honey Family, Surrey
• Sustainability Award: Coastal Shellfish, Prince Rupert
• Innovation Award: Cascadia Seaweed, Sidney
• Export Award: Hardbite Chips, Surrey
• Best in Brand, Marketing Award: Hippie Snacks, Burnaby
• Leadership Award: Christine Coletta, Okanagan Crush Pad, Summerland/Kelowna
• Rising Star Award: Connie Marples, Boosh Food, Surrey
• BCFB Processor Member of the Year Award: Mogiana Coffee, Burnaby
• BCFB Associate Member of the Year Award: Glenmore Custom Print + Packaging