Standoff update indicates police took cover from gunshots

A member of the emergency response team arrives at the scene of a standoff on Bourquin Crescent East in Abbotsford on Tuesday afternoon.  - Vikki Hopes
A member of the emergency response team arrives at the scene of a standoff on Bourquin Crescent East in Abbotsford on Tuesday afternoon.
— image credit: Vikki Hopes

More details emerging from yesterday's standoff in Abbotsford with a man who was firing a gun indicate a more-harrowing situation than was first reported.

Abbotsford Police Const. Ian MacDonald said police officers, including members of the emergency response team, who first arrived on the scene had to take cover from flying bullets because the suspect was still firing shots when they arrived.

"Our members … on the scene were relying on their ballistic shields (for protection)," he said.

Police estimate that the 23-year-old man holed up in the townhouse unit on Bourquin Crescent East fired anywhere from one dozen to two dozen shots.

Many of the bullets were fired at walls and the ceiling, MacDonald said.

He said residents who were evacuated from the building into a waiting transit bus were not in serious danger, as they were escorted by police out a back entrance – away from the residence where the man was barricaded.

At points during the man's rampage, he threw items from a balcony, including a computer and several rounds of unused ammunition, MacDonald said.

He said one of the challenges for police was not knowing exactly which room the man was occupying at any given time in the multi-level townhouse unit and where the shots could potentially be fired.

He was first reported to be barricaded in a bedroom, from where two family members in the townhouse reported hearing gunshots at about 11:30 a.m., but he could have been moving around the unit after police arrived, MacDonald said.

The man surrendered without further incident at about 1:20 p.m. MacDonald said when police entered the suite, they found four guns – a handgun, an assault-style rifle and two rifles – as well as several rounds of ammunition and magazines.

"The situation that APD officers and residents were placed in was extremely dangerous. The fact that nobody was injured by the numerous shots that were fired inside and outside the suspect's residence is both incredible and fortunate," MacDonald said.

Justin James Dean Korelus appeared in court today (Wednesday) and has been charged with assault with a weapon, careless use of a firearm, possession of a firearm dangerous to the public, intentional discharge of a firearm, unlawful discharge of a firearm and two counts of uttering threats.

Korelus, who has no prior criminal record according to the provincial court database, has been remanded in custody for a psychiatric assessment and is next scheduled to appear in Abbotsford provincial court on July 2.



We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Container recycling lags in Metro Vancouver
Empty coal trains to continue travelling on lightly-used SRY line in North Langley until Nov. 30
Fine for driver in fatal crash
Yale runner wins two bronze medals at B.C. High School Track Championships
Election 2014: Strong words at Abbotsford mayoral debate
Campaign trail tarred with ‘gay serum’ rumour
Return to Sender campaign underway for unwanted election material
Kinder Morgan takes pipeline protesters to court
Thoughts of joy

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.