News

Fire at townhouse unit in Abbotsford

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service crews were called to a townhouse fire just before 11 a.m. today (Monday).

When crews arrived to the townhouse complex at 32870 Bevan Way, smoke and flames were coming from the eaves and the door of the unit.

They quickly contained the fire, which initial reports indicate began around the fireplace.

According to Asst. Chief Ron Hull, an investigator has been called to the scene.

All occupants of the home escaped without injury.

A neighbour across the lane from the scene of the fire, 10-year-old Elly Farago, was home sick from school and when she looked out the window, thought there was a lot of fog.

She summoned her father, Ede, who called 911 and then went around knocking on other neighbours' doors to alert them of the potential hazard.

Fire damage was extensive at the blaze's point of origin, according to a city press release, but was reduced because residents kept doors throughout the home closed.

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, July 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.