News

Crews quickly extinguish garage fire in Abbotsford

  -
— image credit:

Quick response by Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service crews contained a fire to a garage on Sunday at about 1 p.m.

Assistant Fire Chief Dave Rivett said that, when crews arrived, light smoke was coming from a garage that was attached to the house at 3216 Saddle St.

They quickly contained the fire, preventing it from spreading into the home and to a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and 1970s Chevy pickup being restored.

Rivett said the cause of the fire was bags of ashes that the homeowners had moved to the garage from their fireplace.

He reminded the public that ashes can retain heat for several days and should never be stored inside any structure.

Five AFRS units with 20 firefighters attended the scene. Abbotsford Police, BC Ambulance and BC Hydro also attended.

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, July 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.