- 2015 Federal Election
Garbage can fire damages Abbotsford suite
A fire broke out in an Abbotsford apartment on Wednesday night.
At approximately 6:15 p.m. the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) responded to a residential structure fire in a suite at 31790 Union Ave.
The fire was reported by the building manager who entered the suite after he heard a smoke alarm sounding. He discovered smoke and flames and used the building's fire alarm system to evacuate the apartment.
Fire crews arrived to find smoke in the hallway and tenants evacuating.
Fire crews made quick entry into the first floor suite and extinguished the small blaze which was located in a garbage can under the kitchen sink.
The occupants were not home at the time of the fire and returned to find fire crews on scene.
Seven fire vehicles and 30 fire fighters attended.
Fire and water damage was contained to the kitchen area with a damage estimate of $2,500. The cause of the fire is believed to be discarded smoking material in the garbage can.
The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service would like to remind citizens to always dispose of cigarettes, matches and other smoking related items in a non-combustible container.