Abbotsford News

Space heater suspected cause of shed fire

A blaze in a workshop attached to a home was extinguished by fire crews before it could spread to the residence.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) crews were called to 33885 Fern St. just after 9:30 p.m. Thursday. When they arrived, the workshop was on fire, as were a nearby car and a large fir tree.

Assistant Fire Chief Dave Rivett said the residents of the home were alerted to the fire when the lights in their house began to flicker. They then checked outside and noticed their shed was on fire.

Rivett said the suspected cause was a space heater in the workshop. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

Six AFRS engines and 24 firefighters attended the fire. No one was injured.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Container recycling lags in Metro Vancouver
 
Empty coal trains to continue travelling on lightly-used SRY line in North Langley until Nov. 30
 
Fine for driver in fatal crash
Red Kettle campaign connects community at Christmas
 
Petition opposes Dignity Village proposal
 
Judge rejects Ebola quarantine for nurse
Support grieving families and friends in Abbotsford
 
Social, Not Scary: Hootsuite Wishes Canadian Businesses a Happy, Hollywood-Inspired Halloween
 
B.C. lawyers vote to overturn Christian law school recognition

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.