News

Space heater suspected cause of shed fire

A blaze in a workshop attached to a home was extinguished by fire crews before it could spread to the residence.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) crews were called to 33885 Fern St. just after 9:30 p.m. Thursday. When they arrived, the workshop was on fire, as were a nearby car and a large fir tree.

Assistant Fire Chief Dave Rivett said the residents of the home were alerted to the fire when the lights in their house began to flicker. They then checked outside and noticed their shed was on fire.

Rivett said the suspected cause was a space heater in the workshop. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

Six AFRS engines and 24 firefighters attended the fire. No one was injured.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Lockdown and search at Matsqui Institution
 
Training exercise held at Abbotsford Airport
 
Trial begins for accused killer of Ryan Saint Ange
Lawsuit will proceed on city bylaws against camping in parks
 
U.S. jail time for Surrey man who sold counterfeit airbags
 
Black Press launches 4Good crowdfunding initiative
City to counter Kinder Morgan letter to Westridge residents
 
Transit Police looking for man who intervened in Surrey SkyTrain station attack
 
Drilling work finished on costly Metro water tunnels

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 1 edition online now. Browse the archives.