Abbotsford News

Fire destroys 86-year-old Abbotsford home

A chimney fire in Abbotsford on Sunday morning destroyed a home that an 88-year-old man had lived in since he was two years old.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the blaze on Downes Road, near Ross Road, at about 10:15 a.m. When crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the attic.

Assistance Fire Chief Jeff Adams said the fire began in the basement and spread up through the chimney.

"The home is heavily damaged, and not sure if it's going to be repairable or not … It's too early to tell, but it doesn't look good," he said.

The homeowners did not have insurance, he added.

Emergency services is helping the family find alternate accommodation and will assist them in determining their next steps, Adams said.

No further details were available at this time.

 

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Legal aid gets rare boost for family cases
 
A Quilt for Warm Memories from Cops for Cancer
 
Municipal election reform pledged for 2014 campaign
Views split on bigger medical role for firefighters
 
UPDATE: Teen fighting for his life after car nearly sheared in half in Surrey crash
 
Election 2014: Lorraine Baldwin seeks Board of Education seat
National blood inventory in critical condition
 
Demand outstrips government funding at new UFV campus in Chilliwack
 
West Cloverdale residents want Bose park to keep forest feel

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 26 edition online now. Browse the archives.