News

Fire destroys 86-year-old Abbotsford home

A chimney fire in Abbotsford on Sunday morning destroyed a home that an 88-year-old man had lived in since he was two years old.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called to the blaze on Downes Road, near Ross Road, at about 10:15 a.m. When crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the attic.

Assistance Fire Chief Jeff Adams said the fire began in the basement and spread up through the chimney.

"The home is heavily damaged, and not sure if it's going to be repairable or not … It's too early to tell, but it doesn't look good," he said.

The homeowners did not have insurance, he added.

Emergency services is helping the family find alternate accommodation and will assist them in determining their next steps, Adams said.

No further details were available at this time.

 

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Family of four devastated by fire at Abbotsford home
 
Homeless housing rezoning will move to public hearing
 
Election 2014: Braun says son’s job with city is not an issue
Lockdown at research station in Agassiz following Ottawa shooting
 
VIDEO: Procession honouring Cpl. Nathan Cirillo in hometown of Hamilton, Ontario
 
Chamber kicks off 100th anniversary celebration
Smoke Alarm - October 29
 
Fire in Tin Town neighbourhood
 
Penticton firefighters appreciative of support

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.