News

Mop causes fire at Pizza Hut

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called out to the Pizza Hut on South Fraser Way on Thursday night, shortly after 10 p.m.

When crews arrived they found heavy smoke coming from the roof and sides of the building.

Quick action by firefighters prevented the blaze from spreading.

Reports indicate the cause of the fire was a mop.

"In one of the back utilities rooms there was an old mop that was sitting up against the boiler that had heated up and caught on fire causing a little bit of fire damage and a little bit of smoke damage," said Jeff Adams, assistant fire chief.

He said damage was minimal, but charring occurred on some of the wood and a clean up will be needed.

Fire officials want to remind business owners to keep a clear area around boilers and make sure cleaning supplies are stored away from heat sources.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

VIDEO: Witnesses describe scene at Parliament Hill; Raw footage of Ottawa shootings
 
Poll finds Lower Mainland voters ready to shake up city halls
 
VIDEO: Ottawa hero Kevin Vickers receives standing ovation in House of Commons
Family of four devastated by fire at Abbotsford home
 
Local charity joins fight against Ebola
 
Security stepped up in B.C. after attacks in Ottawa
Election 2014: Traffic top of mind in this campaign
 
Potatoes pilfered from trio of Richmond fields
 
Chilliwack MP describes Ottawa shooting

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.