News

Fire damages downstairs rooms of Abbotsford home

Smoking materials are believed to be the cause of a fire on Friday night at a single-family home on Beaver Street.

When fire crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming out the front door.

Assistant Chief Dave Rivett said it that a resident of the home was smoking in the basement, where her computer was located, and then went upstairs to watch TV. She then smelled smoke, and went back downstairs.

"Fortunately, she felt the door and it was hot. She didn't go back into that area."

Rivett said there was considerable heat and smoke damage to the home's rec room and hobby room.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

UPDATE: Fraser Health trying to contact more than 1,000 people served by acupuncturist
 
Country singer performs at fundraiser for three charities
 
Order made to determine if man not criminally responsible for standoff
APD officers part of Burnaby Mountain crowd control team
 
Acupuncture clinic can reopen, Fraser Health says
 
Fraser facing fines for delayed surgeries
Judge tosses contempt charges against oil pipeline protesters due to GPS errors
 
CP Holiday Train stopping in Pitt Meadows
 
Fencing off homeless camp part of a broader action plan: City

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 28 edition online now. Browse the archives.