- BC Games
City employee payroll tops $45 million mark
Another 33 employees of the City of Abbotsford passed the $75,000 salary level in 2011.
According to the year-end financial report, which was scheduled to be examined by council yesterday (Monday) afternoon, 211 municipal employees (excluding police) earned more than $75,000.
In 2010, 178 reached that level.
Eighty-eight employees broke the $100,000 mark in 2011, as compared to 55 in the previous year.
In total, the city’s employee payroll, including employees making less than $75,000 a year, totalled $45.8 million.
Final elected officials’ earnings for 2011 were also released.
Former mayor George Peary received a total of $89,377 (salary and expenses combined). Mayor Bruce Banman received $7,197 (combined) for just over one month of service in 2011.
City councillor earnings varied, depending on expenses and indemnity paid for attending water and sewer commission meetings or for acting as mayor.
Coun. Les Barkman topped the list with a combined $41,644. At the other end of the scale was Coun. Dave Loewen who earned a total of $35,082.
Other councillors’ wages included Bill MacGregor received $41,137, Patricia Ross ($39,813), Moe Gill ($38,766), John Smith ($37,062) and Simon Gibson ($35,826).
Two councillors only served part terms. Lynne Harris, who left council in November, earned a combined $32,451 while Henry Braun who served just over a month in 2011, earned $3,144.
In accordance with the Financial Information Act, the city must list all elected officials salaries and all employees making more than $75,000. The act does not include police departments.
The following is a list of salaries and expenses for the top 10 paid city employees, excluding police:
1. Frank Pizzuto, city manager, $249,005 plus $6,898 expenses
2. Jim Gordon, general manager engineering and utilities, $200,129 ($5,939)
3. Jay Teichroeb, general manager economic development, $192,148 ($0)
4. Mark Taylor, general manager parks, recreation and culture, $185,279 ($1,785)
5. Pat Soanes, general manager finance and corporate services, $175,839 ($4,309)
6. Mike Pastro, airport manager, $166,344 ($19)
7. Don Beer, fire chief, $163,911 ($7,753)
8. Judy Lewis, director financial services, $154,925 ($3,959)
9. Dale Unrau, deputy fire chief – operations, $142,419 ($4,457)
10. Bill Flitton, city clerk, $141,603 ($2,085)