News

Alert farmer saves barns from catching on fire

An alert farmer saved several barns from going up in flames on Sunday afternoon.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service received a call from a farm in the 500 block of Whatcom Road that smoke was coming from the hog fuel pile and the side of a barn.

When crews arrived, they emptied the barn of the hog fuel (wood chips or shavings used for bedding) and sprayed it down.

Deputy Fire Chief Ron Hull said the organic waste was stored in a bunker silo, and spontaneous combustion can be a problem.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C.-only wines to come to some grocery stores
 
Michael W. Smith brings Christmas spirit to the Abbotsford Centre
 
Home mail delivery to stop in Abbotsford city centre
Abbotsford man declared not criminally responsible for standoff
 
Hunters protest shift favouring non-residents
 
Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
Lack of addiction treatment flagged by crime panel
 
Trinity Western University in Langley sues law society over law school
 
Indonesian janitors get up to 8 years in rape case

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.