- BC Games
Thousands of chickens lost in barn fire on Ross Road
A barn fire at a poultry farm in the 4100 block of Ross Road on Sunday night resulted in the loss of some 18,000 chickens.
When Abbotsford Fire Rescue firefighters arrived on scene the barn was already fully involved, and they worked to contain it to that barn, and not let it spread to five other barns on the property.
There were 45 firefighters from five different halls involved in the effort. The barn was 50x300 feet, and was so full of smoke and flames they could only attack it from the exterior.
A farm worker was the first to report the blaze, as he saw fire and sparks coming from a fan attached to the barn. The fire was first reported at 9:08 p.m.
The barn was a total loss, and the losses tallied approximately $500,000, according to an Abbotsford Fire Rescue press release.
Firefighters used their fans to assist the farmer in keeping air circulation in his remaining barns, as power to them was knocked out by the fire. Power to the property came into the property through the barn that burned.
An Abbotsford Fire Rescue spokesman said the fire is not being considered suspicious.