News

Gas leak in downtown Abbotsford

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was on standby at the Roberts Avenue gas leak. - Neil Corbett photo
Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was on standby at the Roberts Avenue gas leak.
— image credit: Neil Corbett photo

There was a strong smell like sulphur or rotten eggs in downtown Abbotsford on Thursday morning at approximately 9:30 a.m., after a gas leak on Roberts Avenue.

Work crews widening Roberts dug into the street and hit a gas service line to a nearby apartment building.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service responded, ensuring no ignition source was in the area, and having nearby businesses on South Fraser Way shut down their furnaces to avoid having the gas taken into their buildings.

Fire officials said a breeze was helping to dissipate the gas, making their presence on the scene mostly precautionary.

Fortis B.C. was on scene to close off the line further up the street, and  fix the damaged pipe.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Lawsuit will proceed on city bylaws against camping in parks
 
Casting Crowns play to a packed Abbotsford Centre
 
Remembering those who have fallen in the line of duty
Lawyers to hold referendum on Christian law school
 
Elderly man walks away from plane crash in Chilliwack
 
Premier wants municipal pay to be election issue
UPDATE: Teen fighting for his life after car nearly sheared in half in Surrey crash
 
Convicted sex offender returns to jail on theft
 
Collision closes North Fraser Way

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 26 edition online now. Browse the archives.