Gas leak in downtown Abbotsford
There was a strong smell like sulphur or rotten eggs in downtown Abbotsford on Thursday morning at approximately 9:30 a.m., after a gas leak on Roberts Avenue.
Work crews widening Roberts dug into the street and hit a gas service line to a nearby apartment building.
Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service responded, ensuring no ignition source was in the area, and having nearby businesses on South Fraser Way shut down their furnaces to avoid having the gas taken into their buildings.
Fire officials said a breeze was helping to dissipate the gas, making their presence on the scene mostly precautionary.
Fortis B.C. was on scene to close off the line further up the street, and fix the damaged pipe.