News

Burning candle causes fire in commercial building

A burning candle is being blamed for a fire that occurred early Thursday morning at a commercial building at Cedar Park Place in Abbotsford.

Fire crews were called to the scene – at the corner of South Fraser Way and Clearbrook Road – at about 2:15 a.m. They found minor smoke and fire damage, which had been controlled by a sprinkler system and prevented the blaze from spreading throughout the plaza.

Fire prevention officer Larry Hooge said the fire began in a storage room that had been converted into sleeping quarters. The occupant of the room had left a burning candle unattended and it ignited some clothing.

Heat from the fire then activated the sprinkler system and fire alarm. Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) officials later confirmed that the building had not been approved for any type of residential occupancy.

Hooge said AFRS has now attended 24 fires to date in December, and most were preventable.

 

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Sto:lo business conference uses technology to create partnerships
 
Police seek suspect in Abbotsford gas station robbery
 
Former South Surrey agent’s arrest makes international headlines
Council candidate: Susan Spaeti running in District of Kent
 
Schools ban ‘pimp, ho’ costumes
 
Election 2014: White Rock mayoral candidate likens TV debate to ambush
Two arrested after vehicle, store targeted
 
World Food Day event at LEC Canada’s largest
 
28th annual Toy Run roars through Fraser Valley

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.