- 2015 Federal Election
UPDATE: Short circuit caused commercial fire in downtown Abbotsford
The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service suspects an electrical short circuit was responsible for Sunday night's downtown fire, which caused an estimated $100,000 damage.
At 10:31 p.m. on June 26 firefighters were called to a fire in an empty commercial building located at 33827 South Fraser Way. The building, which is for lease, was located near Champagne and Lace.
The fire was reported by a citizen driving by the building, who then drove to the firehall on West Railway and notified the fire crew. Crews arrived to find smoke and fire coming from the rear basement window of the two-storey structure. After confirming that there were no occupants in the building, they initiated an aggressive interior attack of the fire, says a press release from AFRS.
Firefighters were able to control the blaze, and prevent it from extending from the basement area to the upper floor of the structure. Fire, smoke and water damage to the structure is estimated at $100,000.
The fire was investigated by the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service in conjunction with the British Columbia Safety Authority (BCSA). The cause of the short circuit is being investigated by the BCSA Electrical Inspector, and that cause is undetermined at this time.