- 2015 Federal Election
Fire destroys Mission garage
Mission firefighters were called to a residential garage fire Friday night on Lougheed Highway, just east of Lawrence Lane.
A recreational vehicle inside the detached building was also destroyed, and according to Mission Fire/Rescue Service Asst. Chief Larry Watkinson, one man suffered third-degree burns to his arms and face. He was taken to Vancouver General Hospital via air ambulance, which landed at Hatzic Secondary School.
The fire origin was the RV, said Watkinson, and the burn victim said he had lit a cigarette while out in the garage, which touched off the explosion.
Numerous other loud bangs, which Watkinson said were aerosol cans detonating, were heard while firefighters were battling the blaze.
The assistant chief said it was a difficult incident due to the amount of material inside the garage, and reminded home owners to clean out and take hazardous materials to an appropriate recycling station twice a year.