News

Abbotsford man charged with making pornographic videos of two victims under 10

Police have charged a 58-year-old Abbotsford man with making pornographic videos involving two children under the age of 10.

The man cannot be named due to a publication ban issued to protect the identity of the victims.

Const. Ian MacDonald said he could not reveal how the man knew the victims, who both reside in Abbotsford, nor their sexes or exact ages. He could only discuss the videos in general terms.

"The children were victimized and abused and it appears to be sexual," he said.

MacDonald said the children have been identified and are receiving the appropriate support to deal with the "severe trauma" they have experienced.

He said police believe the two are the only victims, but haven't ruled out the possibility there could be more.

The man was brought to the attention of Abbotsford Police by U.S. authorities, who had discovered that another man was in possession of two child porn videos that appeared to originate from Abbotsford.

Local police and the Integrated Child Exploitation Unit took over on the Canadian side, and the porn was traced to an Abbotsford home.

Forensic evidence obtained from computers seized from the home determined the videos had been produced in and distributed from Abbotsford.

MacDonald said it is rare to find such images created on a local level; people charged with child pornography offences usually access videos and photos made in other countries.

"I think a lot of people will, in many instances, imagine child pornography being created in another part of the world. It creates a distance, but (this case) should be an alert to people that we are not immune to the kinds of crimes taking place elsewhere," he said.

MacDonald said the accused has no previous criminal history and was not someone who was on "police radar."

He has been charged with making child porn, distributing child porn, sexual interference of a person under 16, and invitation to sexual touching under 16. He has been released from custody.

Comments are closed

You might like ...

NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
Site C dam construction to start next summer
 
Randeep Match appeals drug conviction
Injunction prohibiting camping in Jubilee Park to remain in place
 
Farmers think migratory birds spreading avian influenza
 
Pattullo Bridge work may disrupt traffic for up to three years
HillCity Church hosts final Nativity Drive-Through
 
Search for answers in South Surrey homicides continues
 
B.C. to announce Peace River dam decision

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.