News

Wood-stove debris is suspected cause of house fire

Discarded debris from a wood stove is believed to be the cause of a house fire Friday morning at 31611 Harris Rd. in Abbotsford.

A neighbour reported the fire just before 10 a.m. Crews arrived to find smoke and fire coming from the rear of the one-storey home.

Deputy fire chief Mike Helmer said the occupant of the house had left just a short time before the blaze began.

Approximately 20 firefighters and eight apparatus from two fire halls fought the fire, bringing it under control in about 10 minutes.

Fire, smoke and water damage is estimated to be $60,000.09:46:14

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C. Muslim Association speaks out on gunman
 
UPDATE: No major security changes at Abbotsford airport after Parliament Hill shooting
 
Family of four devastated by fire at Abbotsford home
Fraser Health scales down mobile flu shot clinics
 
Police say large election signs might have been factor in pedestrian collision
 
Empty warehouse in Chilliwack prompts request for donations
Police on lookout for stolen UTV
 
New mayor sworn in at Kent inaugural meeting
 
Trick-or-treaters became sick after eating pot brownie

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.