News

Update: Candle causes fire at Hindu temple

Fire crews were called to a blaze at the Hindu temple at 31545 Walmsley Ave. Wednesday at about 10:45 a.m. The fire began at the back of the building. - John Van Putten
Fire crews were called to a blaze at the Hindu temple at 31545 Walmsley Ave. Wednesday at about 10:45 a.m. The fire began at the back of the building.
— image credit: John Van Putten

A fire yesterday (Wednesday) at the Hindu temple in Abbotsford is suspected to be the result of an unattended candle left near combustibles, according to Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS).

The fire began at the back of the building, located at 31545 Walmsley Ave., at about 10:45 a.m. The facility is owned by the Fraser Valley Hindu Society and is the only Hindu temple in Abbotsford.

Deputy Fire Chief Mike Helmer said the blaze was reported by staff of the adjacent Lafarge Canada concrete plan.

About 20 firefighters and eight apparatus from two halls fought the fire, which was brought under control in about five minutes, Helmer said. All occupants of the building were safely evacuated.

Fire, smoke and water damage is estimated at $250,000.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Aug 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.