News

Overloaded circuit suspected cause of Abbotsford house fire

Fire crews arrive on the scene of a house fire Sunday night on McCurdy Place in Abbotsford. - Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service
Fire crews arrive on the scene of a house fire Sunday night on McCurdy Place in Abbotsford.
— image credit: Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service

An overloaded electrical circuit is the suspected cause of a house fire Sunday evening in Abbotsford.

Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) was called to 2735 McCurdy Place just before 7:30 p.m. Deputy Fire Chief Mike Helmer said heavy black smoke was coming from the eaves of the two-storey home when they arrived.

All seven occupants had escaped, and fire crews were able to prevent the blaze from spreading.

Helmer said fire damage was limited to a downstairs bedroom, with the rest of the house suffering heavy smoke damage. Total damage is estimated at $130,000.

A total of 34 firefighters and seven trucks from two firehalls battled the blaze.

Helmer reminds residents that extension cords are meant for temporary use only.

"Extended use ... can allow abrasion and compression of the electrical cords. This can cause a breakdown ... and allow the wires to short-circuit, providing an ignition source for nearby combustible materials," he said.



We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Privacy office upholds withheld legal costs
 
Arrests of pipeline protesters in Burnaby signal start of long battle
 
Home is where her art is
Man sentenced for three bank robberies
 
Rare pinto deer shot and killed
 
Protestors claim immigration is reason for traffic gridlock
Hand over the driving reins to Operation Red Nose
 
Election 2014: Wright, McIntosh to get $70K for saying bye
 
House fire draws big response

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 21 edition online now. Browse the archives.