- 2015 Federal Election
Overloaded circuit suspected cause of Abbotsford house fire
An overloaded electrical circuit is the suspected cause of a house fire Sunday evening in Abbotsford.
Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) was called to 2735 McCurdy Place just before 7:30 p.m. Deputy Fire Chief Mike Helmer said heavy black smoke was coming from the eaves of the two-storey home when they arrived.
All seven occupants had escaped, and fire crews were able to prevent the blaze from spreading.
Helmer said fire damage was limited to a downstairs bedroom, with the rest of the house suffering heavy smoke damage. Total damage is estimated at $130,000.
A total of 34 firefighters and seven trucks from two firehalls battled the blaze.
Helmer reminds residents that extension cords are meant for temporary use only.
"Extended use ... can allow abrasion and compression of the electrical cords. This can cause a breakdown ... and allow the wires to short-circuit, providing an ignition source for nearby combustible materials," he said.