The Abbotsford Community Foundation (ACF) has announced that its 2020 Smart and Caring Community Grants have been awarded to 13 programs offered by local charities.
A total of $90,000 was recently presented at the ACF boardoom. Leaders of the various charities attended in separate time slots to comply with COVID- 19 safety protocols.
Each charity provided a summary on how the grant funding will increase care and support across a broad spectrum of organizations supporting children and families at risk in our community.
“ACF is honoured to invest in our community. Without this funding, many of these crucial programs would have to be cut or cancelled,” said ACF board chair Andrea Senft.
ACF recently renovated and expanded their boardroom, partially funded by a generous donation from Vivian Trethewey, who, along with her late husband Alan, were the founding donors to the ACF 40 years ago.
“The Abbotsford Community Foundation is one of the best ways to give; it’s strong and it’s living, it’s alive and active,” Trethewey said.
The ACF community grants committee is composed of individuals with a passion for serving Abbotsford.
Committee chair Denise Thandi has been involved on the committee for a few years. Through her work in this sector, she has seen the needs in the community that are addressed by the various programs that local charities administer to help children and families at risk.
ACF executive director Wendy Neufeld said many organizations presented worthy applications.
“Abbotsford has a population in need of additional supports and care. This does not go unnoticed,” she said.
The Smart and Caring Community Fund has provided numerous local charities with more than $600,000 in grants since 2014.
The annual Smart and Caring Golf Classic held each year on the third Thursday of September raises funds that are permanently added to the capital of this ACF community fund. The 2020 event will be on Sept. 17 and is sold out.
Visit abbotsfordcf.org or phone 604-850-3755 for more information on how to support the Smart and Caring Community Fund.
The recipients of this year’s Smart and Caring grants are:
• Abbotsford Restorative Justice – family support for at-risk youth and families
• Abbotsford Youth Commission – Healthy Me/Healthy We
• Archway Community Services – Calm Parenting for Dads
• Archway Community Services Food Bank – Starfish Backpacks
• Big Brothers Big Sisters – mentoring for mental health
• Fraser Valley Aboriginal Children and Family Services Society – life skills for children and youth
• Fraser Valley Brain Injury Association – Young at Arts
• Fraser Valley Child Development Centre (FVCDC) – Melvin’s Messages and Brain Builders
• FVCDC – Family Enrichment Counselling Program/Program ECHO
• Fraser Valley Health Care Foundation – Early Psychosis Intervention Art Therapy Wellness
• Many Ways Home Housing Society – housing through Abbotsford Rental Connect
• Mennonite Central Committee – Fraser Valley Rental Assistance Project
• Abby Community School – SCAMPER literacy program