Share this story
The Abbotsford News was presented with seven awards at the annual Canadian Community Newspaper Awards gala event, held in Toronto last Thursday.
Categories included: newspaper marketing and promotion, promotions, advertising design, special sections, magazine and digital innovation.
"This recognition by our peers continues to reflect the excellence in publishing we employ at the Abbotsford News," said publisher Andrew Franklin.
"I would like to congratulate all staff at The News for their dedication and commitment to the industry and our clients. Our promotions and digital strategies continue to gain more recognition due to the highly interactive nature they command with our readers and advertisers alike."
The Hope Standard and Mission City Record were also honoured at the awards for their excellence in newspaper publishing.
The News was previously recognized for innovation in October 2011 by Local Media (the North American newspaper association), and last month by the B.C. and Yukon Community Newspapers' Association.
The honours received at the national awards were:
• digital innovation – first place to Don Barbeau for My Ride and third place to Jenn Schotts for The Intern II;
• newspaper marketing and promotion – first place to Don Barbeau for FraserWay RV’s Great RV Giveaway and third place to Susan Lamphear for the "Lip Sync – So You Think You Can Sing" promotion;
• special section – second place to Heidi Franke for Abbotsford in Action;
• promotional campaign – third Place to Brittany Best for the 35th annual BC Elders Gathering; and
• print advertising – third place to Helen Dyck for Blue and Pink Nails, Massage and Spa.